Quinoa With Pan-Roasted Brussels Sprouts ($1.24 per serving)
It’s quinoa and Brussels sprouts, practically synonyms for incredibly healthy. This meal has a grain, a vegetable and a protein, all in one dish.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, stemmed and halved
- 2 lemons
- 6 strips bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced onion or 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- salt to taste
- Combine quinoa with 2 cups water. Bring to boil. Lower temperature and simmer until all water is absorbed (around 20 minutes).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the Brussels sprouts, any stray leaves, the bacon and the onion.
- Squeeze lemon juice onto the vegetables and sauté for 5-7 minutes over medium-high heat unit the Brussels sprouts have turned bright green and begin to brown slightly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in pepper and salt to taste.
- Toss Brussels sprouts mixture with the quinoa. Serve warm.