Texas summers mean high electric bills. Our energy saving tips can save you money all summer long! So save your watts for what matters most:
- Turn your ceiling fans to spin counter-clockwise.
- Use shades, blinds, and drapes for climate control.
- Grill out more often. Using your oven in the summer heats up your home and makes your A/C unit to work harder.
- Open all your inside doors so that cooled air can flow freely throughout your house.
- Use copper bottom pots and pans: they use heat more efficiently when cooking.
- Air dry your heavy blankets and sheets.
- Reduce your water heater temperature from 140 to 120 degrees. This saves you energy and money while still keeping water hot enough for laundry and showers.
- When purchasing new appliances, look for the “Energy Efficient” label.
- Use solar outdoor lights.
- Dust the coils behind your refrigerator.
- Unplug battery chargers that are not in use and set your computer to sleep during times of inactivity.
- If using your dishwasher, let your dishes air dry.
For more tips on saving money, visit our Education page.